Mar 22, 2009

Filming in Burbank


One of the great or not so great things about Burbank is it is always a place for filming! I love it because it makes me feel like I am 'part of the action' but it can be a bit inconvenient when trying to park at my house. Since living in Burbank, I have seen a lot of film crews and one of the spots they seem to frequent is The Safari Inn! The Safari is about a 1 minute walk from my house. I love this place, it's a little slice of mid-century americana. Because it is still pretty true to it's retro roots it is a popular spot to film. My Mom and my sister Dorothy stayed here when visiting for our wedding open house and the rooms were pretty neat (about like a best western). The hotel has this raised patio and a sweet little pool in the shade of palm trees and the fabulously retro neon sign. When I came home today I saw a sign posted on our apartment door stating that this coming saturday the TV show MONK will be filming on our street and at the Safari Inn. I am so excited because I LOVE the show MONK and I haven't had any occasions to actually see anyone famous since living here. It makes me happy to think when I am taking out my trash I might get a glimpse of Tony Shalhoub (who plays that lovable OCD detective.)


Other famous shows that have been filmed at the Safari are Apollo 13, True Romance, CSI Miami, Las Vegas, and even a Wallflowers CD, now they can add MONK to the list! Below is a picture of the Safari Inn in all it's original splendor. It looks almost exactly the same today. It is fun to be watching a show and to recognize Burbank. My most recent sightings have been the movie 'He's just not that into you', The TV show 'Alias', and a recent Dominos commercial. Since Burbank (and neighboring studio city) have studios here NBC, ABC, Disney, Nickelodeon, and WB many shows and movies are taped here as well. Chad and I are counting down the days for Conan O'brien to relocate here and replace sorry ol' Jay Leno! So come visit us!

4 comments:

chad said...

i heart the safari inn! i only wish we had a "locals only" pass to use their pool in the summer, haha.

i'm glad that even though you haven't seen a "movie star" yet since living in LA (except for all those limos you keep seeing with michael jackson in them)... that you're enjoying the burbank life... :) we'll see someone famous soon, i'm sure. :) xo

Megan said...

When are they going to be filming there? Lauren Bauer LOVES Monk too! I'm sure she'd love to know they're filming right down the street too!

Emily Jeanne said...

Friday night at 7pm- Saturday Morning at 5am. It a crime scene shot and they said we might hear gunfire. I totally wanna go snoop and see MONK!

Megan said...

You totally should! And I'll have to let Lauren know... I'm sure she's love to be your partner in crime, haha! How fun though. Hope you're able to see someone famous!