Jan 19, 2010

Losing it week 2 up 1 lb



Ok, Ok I know what you all are thinking?! This is exactly why I am posting these online so when I gain weight I can hang my head in blogger shame.  I could give you a list of excuses, but I will just say that one of my best friends in the world, Elin, came to visit me this weekend. No we didn't binge or go crazy but I simply ate out more than I should have and didn't track my points faithfully for the weekend. Which goes to show, that THINKING and WRITING down what I eat is important.  I am not trying to blame a friends visit for my poor eating choices, I am taking responsibility for my lack of discipline this past weekend. It is hard to show someone a good time on the town without indulging in great places to eat.

Instead of worrying about it. I am going to start fresh this coming week. TODAY. Also I am going to have snack options with me in case I am tempted by something that I shouldn't eat.  SO... I am going to list a few of my favorite snacks that aren't too devilish.

Dill pickle spears - 0 points
Sugar Free Jello - 0 points
Carrott sticks - 0 points
NEW Mousse Temptations jello snack - 1 point
Pop Chips - 1 point for 7 chips
Fruit leather - 1 point
Raw Broccoli - 0 points

If any of you have any other good healthy and low calorie snacks please do enlighten me!  I have found this week that I LOVE pickles. This week had some great new healthy recipes but one of my favorites I will share below.  I am not picturing it this week because unfortunately I BURNT my brussels sprouts so after peeling away some layers we got a bit of the goods. The reason I burnt my sprouts was because I used much smaller sprouts than what this recipe calls for (now I know... and knowing is half the battle). So try this recipe but follow the parenthesis instructions if they are small. I will try this again and maybe next time add some parmesan shavings.

Balsamic Brussels Sprouts - 2 points per serving

Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

2 pounds Brussels sprouts*
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Cut the bottoms off the Brussels sprouts and trim off any damaged outer leaves. Soak them in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes and drain them well. Cut them in half and put them into a roasting pan. Add the thyme, oregano, pine nuts, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add the olive oil and vinegar and toss everything well to coat. Put the roasting pan into the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Give everything a good stir and cook for 25 minutes more, or until the Brussels sprouts are nicely browned and caramelized. Serve immediately.

*(for small sprouts I would guess that 20-30 minutes would be a more acceptable time frame, I would recommend checking and stirring them every 10 minutes. Until they are slightly browned.  Also, I do love balsamic but I found this was too much for my little sprouts, I would recommend doing 1/4 cup and increase to your own likings)

5 comments:

l i z said...

i love your honesty, Em. you're being realistic and not to hard on yourself. a positive attitude = positive results in my book.

p.s. we got a food dehydrator and have started eating lots of dried fruit for snacks.

Dorothy said...

Beets! I love them!
Edemame. (I'm not sure I spelled that right) Costco has them in bags you can mic in 3 min. Tasty! And high in protien and fiber.

Leslie said...

We ate TONS of pickles when we were doing WW.. a GREAT snack! Satisfies that "Crunchy" and "salty" craving. We also ate a lot of FF pretzels, yoplait light yogurt is a great snack at only 2 points, Special K bars are great at only 2 points and also rice krispie treats are only 2 points. One of the things that really got us through though was veggies... because they are ZERO! We bought tons of frozen stir fry veggies and cooked them in nonstick cooking spray with lots of seasonings and they are ZERO points. Raw veggies that are good are also snow pea pods and at trader Joes they have these garlic mushrooms that are awesome that are ZERO... Sorry LONG comment! Good luck! Also, we are praying for you today with your surgery! Hope it all goes well! Love ya!

l i z said...

update: made the brussel sprouts, minus the fresh herbs. baked for only 10 minutes and they were perfect! never knew i would love them SO much.
thanks!

The Crane Family said...

You Rock EM!! I haven't checked in for a while--but looks like WW is going super swell!! Glad you're feeling better--so fun to talk to you today!