
I am excited to share my thoughts of my first week back on weight watchers. First off, for those of you who haven't done WW or heard about it it is basically a points system that helps you simplify calorie counting and manage what you eat. Why it works for me when other diets don't....
Well, let me ask you something, what do you do when someone tells you that you CANNOT have something? I am guessing that you probably drive yourself crazy wanting it. I have a really hard time with absolutes. If someone tells me I can't do something I feel like I want to do it. I do think that some things in the world are black and white but for me food is a bit of a grey area. I cannot live the rest of my life without pizza or chocolate cake.... I am sorry but that is just not gonna happen. On the other end of the spectrum, those types of foods are HORRIBLE and should only be eaten in moderation. Moderation and balance is the key... and that is why I think WW works. I can for instance eat a piece of pizza, but I have to balance that bad choice by eating low calorie foods for the rest of the day. So ....if i eat pizza I am stuck eating vegetables the rest of the day.
Another reason why I think WW is cool is that you have a weekly allowance of bonus points which you can either spread out during the week, or splurge if you know you will going out to eat...or if you can't directly control what you are going to be eating. Bonus point's have saved me many times, where i just felt like I needed a little something or a snack.
I am not going to lie, I have felt hungry this week... and Chad has been feeling hungry too, but I think I just need to re-learn how to love fruits and vegetables, and how to cook to make them yummy and crave-able. This week I have found out that I LOVE southwest grilled chicken or steak salads. Subbing the fattening dressings with flavorful salsas! I invested in a WW cook book and wanted to share my favorite 'good eats' of the week.
Broccoli w/ Garlic (pictured above)
Makes 4 servings: 1 point per serving!
2 tsp olive oil (I used a citrus olive oil... Thanks JULIE!)
1 lb broccoli (I used about 5 cups)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup julienned roasted red bell peppers
2 dashes of fat free soy sauce (I added this myself)
In a large skillet heat oil on med, saute broccoli, garlic, and oregano until the garlic is golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the roasted red pepper, cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 2 minutes. You can add the soy sauce at the end, or squeeze lemon over the top for an added citrus flavor.
Healthy Caprese Salad: 0 points

halved cherry tomatoes
fresh basil
salt and pepper
If you want you could add any other chopped veggie to make more of a bruchetta
mix together and enjoy! I am a sucker for caprese salad but since I cut out the oil and the mozzarella it came out to zero points! its a great side or a snack. I think this would be great on salad, or over some whole grain pasta with arugla and small bits of feta. It can also be great topped on a high fiber whole grain wheat toast. The oil and cheese would add 1-4 points depending on how much you add and how much you eat. Wheat toast 1-3 points.
One thing I have noticed this week that all breads are not created equal. I bought an earthy multigrain bread thinking it would be great but as it turns out it is not the lowest calorie bread on the block. Whole wheat flour is the way to go!
I will be posting a weekly updated on my weight loss and posting recipes that I like and snapping photos of what I make! if you have any WW or low cal recipes you want to share please do!!!
Also, for those of you in the peanut gallery, Chad is doing WW with me! It is great to have his support, even if it makes me jealous that he has almost double the points I do! He has been great and hopefully we will be getting fit together! We are getting serious about starting to get active... stay tuned for details.
-em

11 comments:
i'm still hungry but the food was delicious! hahhaa. xoxo
awesome, em!
So proud! Love ww. You are inspiring.
way to go lady, and way to advertise your progress. it will only make you more successful, be aware that we are all waiting for each weeks progress reports.
Thanks for all the encouragement guys... and by the way kate... me posting this on my blog is my way of answering to someone other than myself! so yeah... I better not screw this one up! ahhahahah
Love that you're posting about this! My sister (Emily & Oliver) sent me the link to your blog. I just joined WW (online) this week and your blog is inspiring.
Your photography is amazing too!
4.2 pounds in one week! That's so awesome! I'm the same about absolutes... if someone told me I couldn't have a piece of chocolate or scoop of icecream ever again, I might as well just stop living! But moderation really is the key. I get excited and motivated reading your blog, so keep it up! And I'll be excited to try out some of these yummy looking recipes sometime!
This is very inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing!
i love broccoli.
Em-- love your honesty and commitment. With your attitude you are bound to have a wonderful journey. Looking forward to hearing about more of the yummy recipes!
WAY TO GO EMILY!!! YEA!!!!!!!!!!
More recipes please :) I need to count.
Post a Comment