Jan 29, 2009

The Mother Hips/My Favorite Hips Mix Link


The Mother Hips truly and securely hold a place in my heart where many of my best memories are stored. I first heard these guys in maybe 98 or 99 and saw my first live show in 99 or 2000. I'm not exactly sure, but I know I have been in love ever since. I have since gone on to see them over 50 times in many different venues. And they never disappoint (except when they fake breaking up that have done a few times).


Happily they are making music together again, their newest release Kiss the Crystal Flake is amazing! Its great that they are also touring again, though on a much smaller scale. The reason for my post, is I am going to see them this weekend in two live shows in San Juan Capistrano and Hermosa Beach. Elin, my best friend of many years and my partner in crime in all things Hips related and also the person I owe a great big THANK YOU for introducing me to the Mother hips.


This weekend, I am breaking in a 'Hips' newbie, my husband! He has only heard them in bits and pieces as I have made him mix tapes or when Ive been listening to them. So in honor of seeing them live, I made him a mix tape of my favorites, and thought I would break in all you other 'Hips' newbies out there! Click the link and download my mix! I am hoping that you will all fall in love with them and purchase all their albums and support them so they can keep making music!


Some of my favorite Hips shows have been at the Bit and Spur in Springdale, Utah (right outside zion), which provided me with some of the most memorable shows, some being, when Kgordee played with the Hips, and my 21st birthday, and him kissing his wife for the first time, a weird lady sitting on Elin's lap who was sitting on Emilie's lap, crazy crazy crowds and the fun road trips with hours of 'who would you rather games'. When I came home from 4 months in China, after an 18 hour flight and little sleep, I surprised all my friends by showing up at the Mother Hips show in Provo at Johnny B's. Seeing the Hips at the Zepher in Utah! always the funnest and most joyous crowds of fans, being surrounded by friends all singing along to every song. Once I was singing so loud to 'Hey Emilie' that I was 'overcome' by the spirit of rock and roll and literally Collapsed at Egos, in Utah. Of course the Hips road trips to different states, especially the Belly Up in San Diego, always a rowdy crowd but worth it. Also fun to camp in San Clemente on the beach and look for records at Lou's! I have so so many memories of my time 'following' the Mother Hips, and I hope that anyone who reads this will comment and share the love! Because I know their music has certainly made a difference in my life and gotten me through a lot!



2 comments:

doug said...

I loved your ode to the Hips, I feel similar sentiments and I really really want to see them again ( think I've only seen them around 10 times in 2 states--I'm just past the newbie stage). They were supposed to come to NYC this past fall and the dissed me and cancelled. I wish I could have been there with you guys hopefully we can see them this Oct or Nov. down in SoCal!!

Emilie and Branden said...

That is really one of the best pictures of all time. Love it so much....

And I was camp director a few years ago. My heart goes out to you. :)