
A while ago I was lucky enough to receive the calling as Girls Camp Director! Can I tell you all, that I am seriously freaking out! Tonight I am going to my very first meeting, which apparently is supposed to last for 3 hours! 3 hours people! I guess its hard for me because i feel like a baby when it comes to callings, especially callings that involve organization and planning (not some of my strong points). However, I guess we get the jobs that we know we need to work on! If anyone has words of advice, please help me because I have NO idea what I am doing here!
All the freaking out aside, I am really excited to go to girls camp. The girls are so sweet and really great and I can honestly say that some of my favorite memories (and most spiritual) come from my time at girls camp. I love the singing, camping, building fires, being in nature, and most of all I love the camaraderie and friendship that grows between the girls and leaders. I will be posting updates of how I am handling my new responsibilities.

6 comments:
No advice (I've never even been to girls camp!), but I wanted to tell you that your picture for this entry rocks my world.
here is my advice: bring a huge gas griddle and make omelets in the woods.
What lucky girls to have such a fun camp director in you! Some of my best memories of girls camp were with camp directors that were obviously there for us and not caught up in all the organization and "adult" talk. My most memorable year is when they let us take 17 cases of Shasta soda. 7-11 was having a good sale that year. :) We had soda-pop "water-fights" and used it as hairspray. We also ate sweetened cold cereal every breakfast. So, now that I'm a mom and monitor the effect that sugar has on kids, my only advice is that you don't let your girls take 17 cases of soda. You'll be awesome! When do you go?
a 3 hour meeting!! You can do it, sister!! You'll be great. I'm excited for you, and the girls.
I loved girl's camp, too. My best advice is call a "food specialist" who will do all the food organization, shopping, etc., but do have the girls help plan the menu and some type of work chart several weeks before. Food is the biggest stress for me. They do best if they have a hand in planning it.
Have a easy craft type thing than can do often and anywhere... those embroidery floss friendship bracelets are perfect.
I love how girl's camp starts there prep in January, but when the scouts go, they plan on the Sunday before the trip!
You'll be great, Em.
you are awesome emily. no doubt about it, you will take the camp to new levels of joy and fun! :)
Em--You are going to be the best!! They are so lucky to have you!! You are the type that will just love the girls and have fun with them--the organization and such is all just fluff--remember you're doing it for the girls and don't care about the adults opinions (I got wrapped up in that) They will always have a different way to do it--but--that's the reason YOU were called and THEY weren't!! Have fun--You'll do awesome.
Post a Comment