May 7, 2009

Life Support?

Over the past few months Chad and I have discussed a living will or for you californians (advance directives). We have been weighing out the options of life support and I wanted to know how you all weigh in on the subject. So the question is, If you were injured and had to survive on life support would you pull the plug? In the event that you can never be revived or you have permanent brain damage, would you choose to put your family through all the medical bills and pain?

I guess my question to myself is, if I do not want to be kept alive artificially does that mean I would be giving up on life? or not enduring to the end? If someone is kept alive but is severely brain damaged what type of life do they have? I have a strong reverence for human life, and I would never dream of taking the easy way out, but is choosing to not go on life support the easy way out?

I know this is a very personal subject and please don't feel obligated to comment, I wanted to ask these questions to myself, and to you who read this because I think it is important to make your intentions known. Whatever side of the debate you are on. I think it is important to discuss with those you love, even if it will more than likely never to be an issue. It has just been on my mind these past weeks as I prepare for a couple surgeries and I wanted to get everyone thinking about it. Thanks for taking the time to think and talk about this issue.

7 comments:

carenburns said...

Hey Em, I think that I have weird views on this, but maybe they will give you some insight? I think that for me, I feel like life is valuable but I also think that people should have the right to also decide the choices concerning life support before they are dead or faced with that situation for some good reasons. I don't think that the choice to stay alive to let ourselves be unplugged is really for us, if that makes sense. I think that if a person is to the point where they are only being kept alive by machines and will never wake up again, the harder part of this decision is really how it will emotionally effect those that care about that person. We will never be able to tell what it is like to be in a state like that until we are there and by that point, it is too late. I also wonder if we can really look at situations like these as "enduring" because we are being kept alive by human hands and the life that we are living is in the most basic sense of the word. We are technically alive but not really living anymore. For me, I know that if I had to make this choice or if I were considering a living will, I would consult those around me about what they would like. It seems to me that it would be more kind to those people to unplug me and let me go, avoiding having those I love sitting countless days in a hospital staring at my practically dead body. Also, the cost is something to consider. If I had a spouse, I would not want him to have to incur massive medical bills for something that seems like it would do no good to revive me. This is, of course again, a perspective I have now having never had to be in this situation. I can also see how some people would want to keep that person alive to avoid the pain of loosing them, and sometimes having someone in a partial state is better than not having someone at all. I guess each situation is different and each state has different laws that govern what can and cannot happen in these situations. I don't think that wanting the plug to be pulled would be giving up though, it seems like life would technically, already be over. I hope this makes some sort of sense!

Tawnya said...

It's always hard to just make a decision on something that has so many variables. In general though, I think the quality of life is really the question. If machines are required to keep me alive and my quality of life is zilch, pull the plug. Nature would have me dead and that's the same to me as enduring to the end. Of course, there will always be chances and hopes and miracles, but I know I wouldn't want to put myself or my family through anything unnecessary.

Kate said...

you know i've thought about it...but never "REALLY" thought about it. but i think it should be discussed and i'm glad you're bringing it up, although you scare us with your upcoming surgery talk. I don't have an opinion yet, but now i will think about it.

Emily Jeanne said...

I totally agree with you guys! I am glad that it has got people thinking because that is the main reason I blogged about this. I know it the chances are soooo slim, but its good to have open discussions with our loved ones about this!

Diana and Jon said...

I have thought about this a lot seeing as how I work in a hospital and have seen affects of these kind of decisions. I don't have anything really deep to say other than I have seen people who did't "pull the plug" and were brain damaged to the point where they were comatose for the rest of their lives. I personally had the idea of being trapped inside a body that can't communicate. I don't think it's an easy way out, but I have told my husband and have an advance directive to never let me be on a ventilator permenantly.

The Crane Family said...

I say--Pull the plug. I know, rather ubrupt! Of course, it will be a time of serious prayer and fasting to know the Lord's will. But, I think if you have to be plugged in you're not really living--and often times just adding extra expenses and grief. HOWEVER, I must say, there are always those circumstances where suddenly someone wakes up--and all is well. This is where you weigh the Doctors prognosis and see what the chances are. So much of it is following the spirit. He will lead us in the situation, and help us know the right thing. Em--what surgeries??? HELLO-- Out of it sister--Fill me in!

Megan said...

As for me I signed something years ago, it's locked in the vault at a bank. I would NOT want to be kept alive. I make sure Ryan knows that, as I know it would be hard to just let your spouse go. But I would not want to be kept alive if I was not in a HERE state of mind. No thanks. He could move on and remarry and be a father and not have to take care of his sick wife that would include so much work. So for sure that is my opinion on myself. As far as if it happend to my husband it's tough to say, it's easy when I mention ME. That is all I know.