Nov 2, 2008

Music Musings



I know, I know I haven't Blogged in ages. It seems I go in phases where blogging just seems boring or a bit of a luxury because I don't have a lot of time. I have been working from home so when I DON'T have to work I want to be very far away from my computer. So, I thought I would blog about some recent music stuff that has gotten me psyched! This is a Youtube clip of WILCO preforming a special song written just for the show. The interview with Jeff Tweedy was funny but kinda awkward because Tweedy is just so awkward. Colbert seems to share musical tastes with me although, a while back he had CSN on the show with no Neil! however, to my delight, Colbert stepped in to sing and play Neils part (He even dressed up like him)! Speaking of Neil Young AND WILCO, they are playing shows together this fall and are touring a few cities on the east coast and in Canada! It's a shame that my dream show is beyond my 3 state travel distance band appreciation line. I guess i'm not REALLY a fan if I didn't even return to my home state of Utah this summer to see WILCO play at Redbutte Gardens.


Last week on Thursday Chad, Warren (Chad's friend) and I went to see Stereolab at the Henry Fonda in Hollywood. It was my first time seeing Stereolab and YES they delivered the goods! It was fun mix of old and new stuff so it was a great show. They had these really groovy video projections that made the show seem kinda psychedelic. The music was great, anything with a mini-moog is great! Before the show we ate at this cute place that has gourmet Waffles, strangely enough its called The Waffle.

A few days later Chad and I met up with Warren and friends again in Hollywood to go to a spoken word/Q&A chat/Fireside with Ian MacKaye who is one of the founders and owners of Dischord Records, and a band member of Minor Threat, The Teen Idles, Embrace, Evens, and on of my favorite bands EVER that I was ill fated to never see, FUGAZI.


It was a really interesting to hear what he has to say on the topics of DIY lifestyle, Music, and living with respect for oneself and others. He's a really funny guy and was full of crazy stories about the early days of the DC hardcore scene and of the bands he has been in. One thing that particularly impressed me was his talking about living in the present, not forgetting the past, but not dwelling on it by moving forward. He is an inspiring person and has been apart of making great music.

No comments: