Aug 15, 2010

Getting stuck at 230 feet up


While my brother and his family were in town I got to go to magic mountain for the first time.  I went on tons of pretty frightening roller coasters (X2, Tatsu, and more) with my nephew Nathan (and John), but most frightening of which, Goliath, which drops 255 feet (even going underground).  We went on at the end of the night, and as we neared the top the car came to a stop. At first I thought it was the normal stall that roller coasters do at the top, but nooooo. It was stopped, as in broken right near the top (see arrow for exact location, and see the coaster cars for scale).  I was freaking out thinking we would roll back down backwards, or have to climb down or be there for hours. However, after the initial shock, panic, and fear of heights wore off, it was actually a really spectacular view of the sunset, and the air was nice and breezy.  After about 10-15 minutes, and a park employee assured us of our safety, we heard a buzzing horn and we continued to the top and straight down. I have to admit continuing on a roller coaster after it has broken down adds quite a bit to adrenaline rush of the ride. Over all it was a awe inspiring experience, which I never, ever want to repeat again.

7 comments:

Tawnya said...

Um, yeah, riding after being stuck sounds just a bit freaky.

Dan Doxey said...

THANKS EMILY! You made Nathan's entire summer by going on all of those huge roller coasters with him! I wish you could hear him talk about it to all of his friends.

Justin and traci said...

Hey Emily. Just wanted to say Hi. Hope everything is going good. Your wedding pictures are amazing.

chad said...

so glad it wasn't me on that ride! hahaha

Megan said...

I'm glad you lived to tell this tale! It would definitely be a little unsettling to break down at the top of a roller coaster! But glad you were able to enjoy the view even in the midst of a somewhat troubling experience. :) Hopefully you are able to keep that perspective in all scary/trialsome times of life!

Teresa Gashler said...

Wow, scary! Glad you are ok :)

Lisa/Scott said...

Oh my goodness that's one of my worst fears!! Glad you made it through without having a heart attack. Every time I go on the Tower Of Terror in Disney's california adventures, I nearly wet myself.